Electrical Engineering Technology (BS)
- Type of Degree:
- Location: Williston Campus
- Program Accreditation: Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET
- Credit Requirements: 123
Electrical systems are everywhere. Systems as diverse as computers, cell phones, smart grids, and wind turbines all employ similar underlying principles. Our graduates in Electrical Engineering Technology (EET) are well prepared to work on these systems and many others. At Vermont Tech, theory learned in the classroom is reinforced by laboratory exercises in EET classes. Laboratories are equipped with instruments, power supplies, and controllers used widely in the industry and we offer analog and digital laboratories at both campuses.
Electrical Engineering Technology is a degree recognized both locally and nationally. Engineering graduates are involved in a wide spectrum of activities, from software design to the assembly of complex control systems. Graduates of this program will have the technical and managerial skills necessary to enter careers in design, application, installation, manufacturing, operation, and/or maintenance of electrical/electronic systems. In addition to having strengths in the building, testing, operation, and maintenance of existing electrical systems, graduates will be well-prepared for development and implementation of electrical/electronic systems. They will be able to take on the role of engineers and senior technicians in the design and manufacture of complex systems, as well as field support and customer service inquiries. Graduates will have the skills, technical experience, and capabilities necessary to succeed in the workplace. Recent Vermont Tech graduates are involved in alternative energy, chip production/design, aviation, and many other fields.
For the first two years of the program, students will follow the same curriculum as the associate degree. For the +2 portion of the curriculum, students will broaden and deepen their knowledge in the areas of mathematics; physics; arts and humanities; social sciences; electromechanical systems; programming; and advanced electrical design.
In addition to all of the objectives included in the associate program, the educational objectives for graduates of the Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology program include:
- Analyzing, designing, and implementing electrical and electronic systems and products
- Applying project management techniques to electrical/electronic systems
- Demonstrating creativity in the design of systems, components, or processes by researching and developing multiple solutions to problems and using a variety of tools and techniques in their work
A student with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology will be able to:
- Select and apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of electrical engineering technology to broadly defined engineering technology activities
- Select and apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to electrical engineering technology problems that require limited application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies
- Conduct standard tests and measurements; conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments; and apply experimental results to improve processes
- Design systems, components, or processes for broadly defined engineering technology problems appropriate to Electrical Engineering Technology educational objectives
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a technical team
- Identify, analyze, and solve broadly defined engineering technology problems
- Apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments and identify and use appropriate technical literature
- Understand the need for and engage in self-directed continuing professional development
- Understand and commit to addressing professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the impact of engineering technology solutions in a societal and global context
- Commit to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
The program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
News & Events
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.