Business Technology & Management (BS)
- Type of Degree: Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Location: Williston Campus, Randolph Center Campus
- Credit Requirements: 120
As Business Technology and Management graduates, students are well-prepared to move into careers in business. Our broad-based curriculum encompasses accounting, computer applications, management, writing, speaking, and interpersonal skills. You'll learn about all aspects of the accounting cycle; business correspondence; effective oral presentation; document collaboration and communication systems; and the structure and function of human behavior in organizations.
Our curriculum includes marketing, human resources, finance, and project management topics. You'll graduate with an understanding of the key characteristics and terminology of major business disciplines and have the skills to integrate them into corporate strategies.
Graduates of this program will possess high-tech applied skills combined with management and leadership skills directly related to the use of technology in business and industry. The course content and sequence link with functional management areas through case studies and real-world situations. The focus throughout is how technical skills, interpersonal skills, and technology help to build a competitive strength in business.
Students may enroll in the Business Technology & Management degree as freshman or they may enter as transfer students. Classes are offered in face-to-face format.
A student with a Bachelor of Science in Business Technology & Management will be able to:
- Understand the accounting cycle including the processing and recording of typical cash receipts, cash payments, sales, vendor, and payroll transactions on an accrual and cash basis
- Interpret financial statements and prepare budgets
- Apply financial information to broad-based business decision making
- Write business letters, memos, email messages, instant messages, and blog posts
- Create reports using accurate research methods and citations
- Develop and deliver an effective oral team presentation on a strategic business topic
- Understand the structure and function of human behavior in organizations and how behavioral influences impact productivity, organizational effectiveness, and efficiency at the individual, small group, and organizational levels
- Develop marketing strategies to satisfy specific target audiences and create a marketing mix using the “4 Ps” of product, price, place, and promotion
- Apply and integrate marketing concepts with other business disciplines to affect a business strategy
- Perform human resources functions in the areas of selecting, training, and evaluating personnel
- Identify best practices in employee training, development, appraisal, and rewards
- Understand the basic operations, tools, and production functions of an organization involved in the efficient and effective production and delivery of goods and services
- Understand the genesis of project, program, and portfolio management
- Use the tools and techniques involved in initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, controlling, and closing projects
- Understand the key characteristics and terminology of the business disciplines of management, human resources, marketing, and finance and integrate these disciplines to develop and affect corporate strategies and plans
The student, in conjunction with the department chair, develops a sequence of courses to best meet their background and needs that still satisfies the degree requirements. A typical curriculum is shown here.
News & Events
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I am incredibly happy with my choice.
- Vermont Tech’s Ag program is like one big family.
- I get lots of experience at the farm and in the classroom.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Business Technology & Management
Vermont Tech Business Technology & Management student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced education placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they are in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.
- Select one